You know the old saying, “Don’t take a selfie with a rattlesnake?” That’s because it doesn’t exist; generally people are just smart enough not to do that.

Except for this wise old San Diego chap named Todd Fassler, who thought it would be a good idea to take a selfie up close and personal with a rattlesnake. Obviously Todd never got the memo that rattlesnakes aren’t known for their fondness of the camera – or human beings – and ended up with a very nasty snake bite that left his arm looking like a fat, swollen, raw sausage.

So how much did this lesson in proper rattlesnake socializing etiquette cost Mr. Fassler? Only $153,161.25 in medical bills and a lot of media attention from unsympathetic journalists.

As you can see by checking out the specific break down of the bill, the largest cost of getting Fassler back to good health was the $83,341,25 for pharmacy supplies.

This is because Fassler smashed through not just one, but TWO local hospitals’ supplies of the anti-venom required to combat the rattlesnake’s poison.

Washington Posts’ Wonkblog went into detail about why the anti-venom is so expensive.

“There’s currently only one commercially available antivenin for treating venomous snakebites in the United States: CroFab, manufactured by U.K.-based BTG plc,” Wonkblog explains. “And with a stable market of 7000 to 8000 snakebite victims per year and no competitors, business is pretty good.”

Hopefully THIS time, $153,161.25 will be enough to teach Fassler a lesson.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one crucial piece of information… Fassler was in hospital just two weeks before this incident occurred. What for, you ask? For a venomous snakebite.

Sweet Jesus, Fassler – when are you going to get the hint that this rattlesnake just isn’t that into you?