Footy superstar Jarryd Hayne Jailed


Jarryd Hayne, a footy superstar, is sentenced to five years and nine months in prison for raping a young woman in her bedroom, while his wife sobs and says, ‘I love you.’

  • Ex-NRL star Jarryd Hayne was sentenced to five years nine months jail for rape
  • The 33-year-old was sentenced at a court in Newcastle on Thursday afternoon
  • Hayne will be in jail until 2025 and won’t be free until he is 37-years old
  • Judge Syme says Hayne has showed ‘no remorse’ and refuses to accept verdict 
  • She says he was aware of what he was doing and only stopped due to her injuries
  • Dozens of family and friends surrounded Hayne as he walked into court Thursday
  • His victim read a statement in court saying she still has nightmares over the rape 

Jarryd Hayne was sentenced to five years and nine months in prison for rapping a young woman in her bedroom while driving home from a grand final party.


Judge Helen Syme delivered the decision on Thursday afternoon in a Newcastle court, leaving the former NRL superstar devastated. Hayne will be imprisoned until2025, when he will be 37 years old.

As the judge read out the sentence, members of Hayne’s support group, including hundreds of relatives and friends, began to cry.

His wife Amelia said ‘I love you’ as she burst into tears while being comforted by other members of the public gallery. 

Her outburst came moments before another woman shouted ‘you’re innocent’ as he was led from the court by cops. 

Hayne’s supporters formed a wall around his wife as they exited the courtroom, causing wild scenes as they clashed with media and reportedly held one cameraman against the bonnet of a vehicle. 

One man also reportedly stared down and spat at the victim as she left the courthouse. +12

Jarryd Hayne has been sentenced to five years and nine months in jail after raping a young woman on the way back from a grand final party 

Judge Syme said Hayne ‘refused to accept the verdict, shows no remorse and refuses to change his attitude towards sex or women’ in a damning indictment of the former Parramatta Eels captain’s continued insistence of innocence.  

‘I do not accept that he was not aware she was trying to push him away and physically resisting him,’ she said in her sentencing remarks. 

‘I do not accept that he was not aware when she was trying to move away from him on the bed when he was forcing intercourse on her.

‘I have found the offender was fully aware that the victim was not consenting and went ahead anyway.’ 

Judge Syme said the incident ‘only stopped because of the victim’s injury’ where she ‘bled profusely’. She said it gave insight into the ‘roughness or force’ of his assault. ‘

‘He stopped not because she said to, but because he noticed the blood,’ she said.

The court noted that while Hayne experienced a ‘difficult’ upbringing, it did not provide any link to his ‘entitled behaviour opposite this young woman who simply rejected any sexual advances’

The decision comes after his victim read out a confronting and emotional statement to the court reliving the 2018 rape and her trauma since, saying she still has nightmares over the assault.

‘Nothing I say will ever explain my feelings inside but I can only try or I might regret it for the rest of my life,’ the woman said. 

‘Working out how to turn my emotions, experience and thoughts into words… to explain how this has impacted my life, is the hardest thing I’ve had to do.

‘I have spent countless hours crying, the feeling of violation and feeling dirty doesn’t go away. I have nightmares and flashbacks of his face looking right through me. Sometimes I can’t get out of bed.’

She said she’s developed a fear of people, can no longer trust others and ‘freaks out if I get close to anyone’. 

‘You don’t owe somebody your body, nor should they expect it. My body remembers and my mind won’t let me forget.

‘This assault has changed me. It changed my direction and who I was. I don’t remember the last time I had a proper sleep.’ 

As the woman left court, a Hayne supporter reportedly stared her down before spitting in her direction in a shameful and disgrace act against the victim. +12

The former NRL superstar was distraught as Judge Helen Syme handed down the verdict on Thursday afternoon that will see Hayne behind bars until 2025

Hayne was found guilty by a New South Wales District Court in March of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent.

The 33-year-old made an outburst in the hearing before the sentence, pleading his innocence when questioned by the judge. 

When asked by the judge: ‘If you went out to commit a serious criminal offence, you would know it would have a devastating impact on your career..?’ 

Hayne replied: ‘I didn’t do it… so…’.  

Hayne’s former captain, Tim Mannah, gave a character reference for the man he described as his best friend. 

Mannah said he noticed a change in his former Parramatta Eels teammate since going to Bible college in Perth, saying Hayne can’t go a sentence ‘without him talking about something from the Bible’.

Judge Syme rejected this idea, claiming going to church more ‘frequently’ was not evidence of him having learned his lesson. 

The court heard that Hayne was on the verge of accepting a ‘lucrative’ $500,000 deal with the St George Illawarra Dragons which was pulled after the allegations became public.

Hayne shields his face under an umbrella and sunglasses as he arrives at court in Newcastle

Hayne, 33, has kept a low profile since the trial, where bail was given with a $50,000 surety.

He has been spending time with new wife, Amellia Bonnici, and their four-year-old daughter, Beliviah Ivy Hayne, after he was warned by Judge Helen Syme at his trial that jail was ‘inevitable’.  

He spent the Easter long weekend at Ettalong Beach on the NSW Central Coast, playing with a football in the ocean and swimming with family and friends.

‘He was relaxed and smiling, throwing a ball with a mate and a child,’ an onlooker told The Australian at the time.

‘He spent hours on the beach and in the water. You’d never know from looking at him that these are possibly his final days of freedom.’ 

He proposed to Ms Bonnici on Christmas Day and married in a secret ceremony a month later on Australia Day, which coincided with their five-year anniversary 

He was found not guilty of the more serious alternative charges of aggravated sexual intercourse without consent inflicting actual bodily harm, which would have carried a longer sentence. 

‘I’d rather go to jail knowing I spoke the truth than be a free man living a lie,’ he said outside court following his guilty verdict in March.+12

Jarryd Hayne (pictured, centre) look relaxed while catching up with former NRL teammate Corey Norman (right) and a frind (left), two days out from being sentenced for rape+12

Dressed in a black suit and tie, Hayne, 33, bowed his head in the witness box as the first guilty verdict to a rape charge was entered in March+12

Jarryd Hayne proposed to Amellia Bonnici on Christmas Day and the couple married a month later – but he is now likely to be sent to jail after being found guilty of rape

The former Parramatta Eels and Gold Coast Titans NRL star was once celebrated as a preeminent Australian sports star – the product of a housing commission family from Minto in Sydney’s west who became one of the country’s most recognisable and revered athletes.

Hayne put together one of the finest individual seasons in rugby league history in 2009, leading the Eels to the grand final and winning the Dally M medal as the game’s finest player. 

He also had a two-year hiatus to attempt to crack America’s National Football League, playing pre-season games with the San Francisco 49ers. 

The fame and riches the devout Christian once enjoyed will now come to an abrupt end as he will spend the next five years and nine months behind bars.

He made a rare appearance on social media on the Instagram of former NRL teammate Corey Norman on Tuesday, days before his sentencing.

The St George Illawarra Dragons star uploaded a photo of himself catching up with Hayne and a friend.

‘Catch ups,’ Norman captioned the photo, along with an emoji depicting two raised hands. The post was widely criticised. +12

Hayne is seen outside court on March 22 with his wife Amellia Bonnici (pictured) before he was found guilty+12

Once regarded as one of the biggest superstars in the NRL, Jarryd Hayne will now spend the next five years and nine months behind bars +12

Despite never having played the sport before, Hayne successfully made the San Francisco 49ers roster in 2015+12

Hayne was raised in housing commission flats in western Sydney by his single mother Jodie, who slept by the door to ensure her children would be safe from home invaders

He narrowly avoided being shot by a bikie gang member during a night out in Sydney’s Kings Cross in 2008 – a moment Hayne later said changed his life.

He turned to religion after playing for the Fijian rugby league team at the 2008 World Cup in what was a tumultuous year for the young footballer. 

Hayne later became the poster boy for Hillsong, a contemporary Pentecostal church. 

The footballer met and had sex with his accuser in the Hunter region on the night of the 2018 NRL grand final on September 30, after they began messaging on social media.

The 26-year-old woman claimed she and Hayne were having consensual sex but she ‘withdrew her consent’.

She allegedly suffered injuries during the sexual encounter with Hayne and required medical treatment.

The woman originally made a complaint to the NRL’s Integrity Unit about the incident which referred the woman to the police. 

The footy star also settled a civil case in the United States after a woman claimed he raped her while he was a member of the San Francisco 49ers in 2015.

Police declined to charge Hayne after investigating the allegations, and the woman lodged a civil suit in relation to an alleged incident in San Jose, California. 

The woman alleged the pair met at a bar following a game between the 49ers and Cincinnati Bengals.

She alleged Hayne took her back to his home in an Uber where he raped her. 

The woman says she doesn’t have a strong recollection of the alleged incident, only that someone of Hayne’s build was coming towards her before the alleged rape. 

The case was settled in 2019.