Iranians fired a missile at US drone prior to tanker attack, US official says

75623

In the hours before the attack on the two tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday, the Iranians noticed a U.S. drone flying overhead and launched a surface-to-air missile at the unmanned aircraft, a US official told CNN.

The missile incomprehensible the drone and fell into the water, the official said. Prior to taking fire, the American MQ-9 Reaper drone ascertained Iranian vessels closing in on the tankers, the official added, tho’ the source failed to say whether or not the remote-controlled craft saw the boats conducting an actual attack.

Still, it’s the primary claim that the U.S. has data of Iranian movements before the attack. Iran has strenuously denied any involvement in the attack. The same official also said in the days before the attack, a U.S. Reaper drone was shot down in the Red Sea by what’s believed to be an Iranian missile fired by Houthi rebels. The Pentagon had powerful words for Iran on Friday because the U.S. continues to say its claim that Teheran was to blame for the attack on the two oil tankers in international waters after releasing video footage it says shows an Iranian watercraft removing a loaded mine from one of the vessels’ hulls.

Advertisement

“We’re ensuring that General McKenzie and also the central command has the resources and the support that they have to conduct their missions,” acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said, adding that the United States of America continues to figure on building a world accord that Iran was behind the attack. Trump says Iran ‘did do it. The United Kingdom in a press release on Friday saying it is “almost certain” that a branch of the Iranian military — the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) — attacked two tankers.

The IRGC is an associate elite wing of the Iranian military that was established in the aftermath of the country’s revolution in 1979. In April 2019, the United States of America formally selected it as a foreign terrorist group, a move that was rejected by authorities in the Iranian capital.

No other state or non-state actor “could plausibly have been responsible,” the statement said. But Iran doesn’t seem to be backing off and continues to have interaction in provocative behavior, according to a United States of America official WHO told CNN on

Friday that Iranian tiny boats are preventing tug boats from towing away one among the broken tankers. President Donald Trump appears convinced that Tehran was accountable.  “Iran did make out and you recognize they did it as a result of you saw the boat,” he said, appearing to visit the photographs and video free by the Pentagon late Thursday.

In the video, a smaller boat is shown springing up to the aspect of the Japanese-owned tanker. A person stands up on the bow of the boat and may be seen removing an object from the tanker’s hull. The United States says that an object is probably an unexploded mine. A senior diplomatic source of a United States ally told CNN Friday, “It could be a virtual certainty Iran was behind this latest attack. The video currently nails it.”

The source supplement that the goal of the response from the US Government so far is all regarding in public exposing Iranian actions and augmentative most pressure.

After the United States withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal, it adopted a policy of most economic pressure and sent a carrier cluster to the region, the supply said this “Iranian revenge is meant to point out they will disrupt, and push oil costs up.”

The Trump administration expected that the pressure from u.s. would bring Iran to the negotiating table, however, European leaders disagreed, basic cognitive process it might empower the hardliners, the sources continued. Iran denies involvement. Iran has denied any involvement in the incident, with its foreign minister suggesting that the United States was fast to make allegations “without a shred of proof.”

The attack may give additional fodder for Iran hawks among the United States administration, whose recent Iran saber-rattling has pissed off Trump. one in every one of them, national security authority John Bolton, proclaimed last month that the Pentagon was deploying the USS Lincoln Carrier Strike cluster and a bomber task force to the Middle East in response to a “number of heavy and escalatory indications and warnings” from Iran.

The two tankers — one carrying oil and the other one transporting chemicals — were attacked close to the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz, an important shipping route that has been the concentrate of regional tensions for many years. Roughly half-hour of the world’s sea-borne petroleum passes through the strategic choke point, creating it a flashpoint for political and economic friction.

Jonathan Cohen, acting United States ambassador to the global organization, said that he echoed Pompeo’s comments in a private meeting of the UN Security Council, describing the attack as “another example of Iran’s destabilizing activities in the region.” The Iranian mission to the world organization rejected the US’ claim.

Alireza Miryousefi, an interpreter for the Iranian mission, tweeted an announcement voice communication Iran “categorically rejects the United States unsupported  claim” that Iran is behind the attacks and “condemns it in the strongest potential terms.”

He added that Iran “expresses concern” over the “suspicious incidents.” And he called it “ironic” that the United States, which withdrew from the nuclear deal with  Iran, the Joint Comprehensive arrange of Action, is currently calling Iran to return back for negotiations and diplomacy.

Advertisement